Sunday, February 19, 2012

Let The Games Begin

This week of class in M510 was one of the more laid back ones we've had to date. That being said, the excitement that was built up over what is to come in the upcoming weeks gave me and my classmates plenty to think about. We formally got introduced to our simulation and the ball is now in each of our respective teams' court to set objectives and goals for our experience.

I don't know about all of you out there but this simulation gives me a chance to pair my experiences with simulations as a kid with real world implications. I know I cannot be the only one who played the sims or any of the tycoon computer games whether it be dinosaur, roller coaster, or zoo amongst others as a child. In these games we had the freedom to choose what we wanted things to look like, how they operated, and what others thought of our designs (to some degree). Our simulation presents us with the same opportunities with the only thing changing being the material. It is still age appropriate but instead of dinosaurs and zoos it is a brand and a business (the things that are on the forefront of our minds). The thing I enjoy most about simulations is that they foster creativity and allows us as students to break free from the rubrics and other constraints in our day-to-day lives. No one project will look the same and the value taken away from the project is in direct relation with how much time you invest in your teams simulation. One last thing I enjoy about simulations I have done in the past is that they get you to think and challenge you more than any book problem ever could. The thought process utilized in these simulations follows the train of thought that is necessary for success as we look to start and grow our own careers. This is the biggest reason, to me, as to why this simulation will be beneficial to us all.

So even though this week was a bit on the lighter side in terms of learning there was still plenty to think about while garnering a lot of excitement from both myself and my peers as for what is to come. It will be interesting to see in the end what all of the teams come up with and how we all react in this competitive environment. There will be learning done in some way, shape, or form at every point along the way and that's the greatest part. Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment